Super Mario Bros. Online

Super Mario Bros. Online Forums
March 29, 2024, 05:24:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Super Mario Bros. Online forums! We hope you enjoy your stay! Please remember to read the rules!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Website download Staff List Login Register  

Super Mario Bros Online DSP and Strategy Guide (Spoiler alert)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Mario Bros Online DSP and Strategy Guide (Spoiler alert)  (Read 600 times)
Medicguy2
Goomba

CMDS - Philosopher & Owner of Shining Light

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Windows User
« on: July 17, 2010, 06:50:03 pm »

This will be a short guide about DSPs and character strategies, which enemy drops them, and badges that may be obtained through this use. (Yes, I realize Jdaster64 covered the enemies and badges, but I'll try to be a bit more specific) There are super-hidden secrets even I won't tell, though. Any help on these kinds of things are appreciated.

DSP:

Contents:

1|What are they
2|Enemy drops
3|Badges obtained
4|The Super-secret badge
5|DSP Locations

1: What are DSPs?

DSPs, or Dim Star Pieces, are currency less common in the game, but do not require the need to play a mini-game or daily event to get them. Because of this, they are hard-to-find. Only a few enemies drop them, and there are spawn points hidden throughout the game, however, I'll only give out enemy names and general locations of DSPs. The rest is up to your exploration skills.

2: What enemy(ies) drops this?

There are currently 4 known Dim Star Piece drops, from the Lakitu, Drillbit Crab, Dry Bones, and Bob-Omb, although one of these enemies may drop more than one. The Lakitu can be found in the Mushroom Areas, particulary Plains and Fields. Drillbit Crabs can be found on Koopa Islands, and the Dry Bones and Bob-Omb are located at the Dry Bones Desert. Tutankoopa also drops a DSP, apparently. (Sent in by Jdaster64.)

3: Badges Obtainable via DSPs:

There are several known DSP badges. Mushroom Badges (HP/Atk) and Flower Badges (FP/Def) are the only categories they belong into. Here are the shop prices, shop locations, and badge types these badges are in:

HP Plus: Found in Mushroom Town Shop for 10 DSPs, this Mushroom Badge increases max HP by 5.

Flower Boost: Found in the same location, with the same price, as HP Plus, this Flower Badge increases max FP by 5.

FP Down, ATK Up: Found in the same location, for 20 DSPs, as the previous two badges, this Mushroom Badge reduces FP by 5, but increases Atk by 1. This is handy for starting warrior-types who don't bother with FP.

HP Strength: Found in Koopa Islands Village Shop for 30 DSPs, this badge increases both HP by 5 and ATK by 1.

Flower Defense: Found in the same location, same price, as HP Strength, this badge increases both FP by 5 and DEF by 1.

Health UP: Found in Kinopio Village Shop for 55 DSPs, this item increases HP by 10 and ATK by 1, but reduces your FP by 5. It's better for warrior-types than HP Strength due to additional HP and reduced FP.

Flower Up: Found in the same location, at the same price, as Health Up, this badge increases FP by 10 and Def by 1, but lowers HP by 5. Handy for mage-types or priest-types, since they need the FP more than HP.

4: The Super Secret badge:

Very few people know of it's existance. This secret, and general location, will not be revealed to anyone, although one thing about the badge is known: It helps wall-types in the long run.

5: DSP Locations:

This last bit allows for the general locations of DSP spawns. The rest is up to you. There are 3 known locations

1. 1 DSP hidden in Mushroom Plains, before the Lakitu spawns.
2. 1 DSP hidden in Mushroom Fields, in one of the Red Gnarantula spawns.
3. 1 DSP hidden in Dry Bones Desert, somewhere after getting tutankoopa's badge.
4. 1 DSP hidden in Flower Hills, where the respawn book is in the same map.

(To help people out, post a pic of the general area of the DSP, but NOT the exact location.)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 01:52:43 pm by Medicguy2 » Report Spam   Logged

Luigi ATK experiment on SMBO: Highest-achieved ATK 84 (+30% w/ damage Up)
Yoshi FP/ATK experiment: TBA

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Medicguy2
Goomba

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 06:58:55 pm »

Streategies:

1|Warrior-type
2|Mage-type
3|Priest-type
4|Wall-type
5|Glass Cannon-type
6|Scout-type
7|Buff-type
8|Stache-y-type. (Sent in by Jdaster64)

1: Warrior-types:

Warriors in SMBO have it easy, especially those playing Toad. The warriors with high HP, ATK, and a bit of DEF generally win out, but suffer a lack of speed.

2. Mage-types:

Mages or Wizards use their FP to land devastating blows to their enemies. High Atk coupled with high FP make a powerful combination, though their Def is low and HP is below average.

3. Priest-types:

Priests are those that heal other players rather than fight, unless deemed necessary to fight. High FP, Def and HP make a good Priest, but low Speed makes the warrior seem faster by comparison.

4. Wall-types:

Walls are those that can take substantial hits, with very high DEF and HP. Unfortunately, their ATK is low.

5. Glass-cannon-types:

More fragile than mages, but just as strong as Warriors, they make good use of Atk and Stache to land fatal blows.

6. Scout-types:

Very high speed makes them efficient and able to run away from danger. When caught, above average attack can defend themselves, but their Defense and HP are low.

7. Buff-types:

The more balanced type, Buffers help others or make a mess of their stats. They have average stats all around, so they don't tend to have weak spots.

8. Stache-y-types:

Benefit from having the cheaper shop prices and high criticals. If that's all you raised, though, you're gonna have a heck of a time to level, as low attack is not beneficial, though if you covered that weakness, then you should be fine.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:20:54 am by Medicguy2 » Report Spam   Logged

BLD
Koopa Troopa

View Profile
Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 07:04:23 pm »

This guide raises more questions than answers. I Think i know about that secret badge, but you're being so gorram unhelpful that i just don't know.

Neat guide, regardless.
Report Spam   Logged

Will pay for shroob shrooms (I'll be back on sunday). PM me for details and pricing.
MG2123
Shrooblet

View Profile
Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 08:23:04 pm »

Nice guide, Medic.

By the way: I am the first one to have found the Super Secret Badge. It has been implemented for months, but Kimi said someone should look for it. That someone was me.
Report Spam   Logged
Draco
Koopa Troopa

Chuck Norris + uppercut to horse = giraffe.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 08:27:19 pm »

Congrats, then, MG. I was just so used to secrets being right in front of my face, lol.

When I had started looking for it, the first thing I said was 'It's probably behind a wall that makes you THINK it's a wall, but isn't.' Then... voila. Found it. =D

Thanks to Amanda for helping me out a bit, though.

Very well hidden, Kimi. *applause*
Report Spam   Logged

CHARACTERS: ATK/FP/HP Yoshi (Draycos)| DEF Luigi (Draco)| SPEED Mario (ThePostman)| STACHE Waluigi (Drake)| HP Toad (Veritas)| ATK Wario (DragonWario)
jdaster64
Global Moderator

FINALLY learned how to block POW blocks in MKWii

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 09:55:04 am »

The Tutankoopa drops DSPs as well; you might want to note that.  Also, I know it's not really an established "strategy", but you might want to make a note that having an alt with high STACHE is very beneficial.
Report Spam   Logged

First to get all 47 cards, all in inventory
SIX maxed characters at level 75!
Check out my updated suggestions thread here!
Medicguy2
Goomba

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 11:22:45 am »

Added in Stache-y-types in strategy guide, so that people can get an idea, anyway. I'll put Tutankoopa in under the DSP drop, with ? DSP as I don't know how many he drops.
Report Spam   Logged

jdaster64
Global Moderator

FINALLY learned how to block POW blocks in MKWii

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 01:12:16 pm »

Just 1, IIRC.
Report Spam   Logged

First to get all 47 cards, all in inventory
SIX maxed characters at level 75!
Check out my updated suggestions thread here!
Luck
Koopa Troopa

It's-a-me, Luck!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 11:15:31 am »

I actually found a DSP spawn point at Flower Hills yesterday, near the blue toad house.

You may add this to the guide aswell.
Report Spam   Logged

Enter the crazy world of Luck Channel!
Check out at the Forum Games.....Roleplaying
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: