Super Mario Bros. Online

Super Mario Bros. Online Forums
March 29, 2024, 03:31:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Super Mario Bros. Online forums! We hope you enjoy your stay! Please remember to read the rules!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Website download Staff List Login Register  

An unnamed Mario RPG fangame

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: An unnamed Mario RPG fangame  (Read 1768 times)
Kimimaru
Owner
Super Mario Bros. Online Creator

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 12:53:36 am »

I would suggest prioritizing your game concept immediately and holding off on anything else until you have something solid. It's very tempting to jump right in, but if you don't have a clear vision and don't do everything you outlined, the project will take longer than expected and you will end up spending a lot of time revising what you have down already, which will greatly hurt your motivation.

I'm not trying to discourage you in any way. In fact, it's the opposite; I want to see your project succeed. However, I'm speaking from my own experience as I have made the same mistake several times and don't want to see others fall into the same trap. You don't need to have literally everything 100% fleshed out, but I'd like see that some considerable design work has been done and the game is well-thought-out before any screenshots emerge.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 12:56:22 am by Kimimaru » Report Spam   Logged
Penguin4478
Touhou Music is Best
Global Moderator

Top Poster On The Forums!

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 11:10:38 pm »

For the screenshot you provided, don't try and merge the elevated-height cliff and the lower-elevation ground with a path like that. It looks kinda cutoffy and weird. If you want to maintain the transition of going from a higher elevation to a lower elevation in that map you should utilize the vertical stairs instead to make it more clean.

Mapping is a lot of working around the problems with the tileset to make sure you have absolutely 0 graphical anomalies and cutoff.
Report Spam   Logged

Creator and leader of SMBO Union!

YTC: http://www.youtube.com/user/Penguin4478/videos
Card List and Recipes 100% Complete!
Krsim
Shrooblet

View Profile
One year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 06:30:42 pm »

(Sorry everyone for me taking so long to reply for your post, it was rather hard to think of an answer.)

I choose to politely disagree with your post. Having a clear vision about what to do is good, but I don't agree with stopping the development of the game for that reason. I might see some inspiration on Youtube, ICU Gigasoft, etc. during the development and I will surely add to to my to-do list(this reminds me that I promised I'll add the main features of the game to first post, but I don't think that I'll do it now, maybe later. For now, I'll just mention that Yoshi will be one of party members.)

It's very tempting to jump right in, but if you don't have a clear vision and don't do everything you outlined, the project will take longer than expected and you will end up spending a lot of time revising what you have down already, which will greatly hurt your motivation.

Partially true, but you didn't mentioned that making a mostly complete list of things to do will probably take months, and when I'll actually start developing game, I will most likely modify most of these things and scratch some of them due to me not knowing RGSS3, plus I don't really mind changing what I have already. If I'll nonstop implement new things, I'll tired of porting tilesets and sprites and making events for them. Also, the player will be more impressed if the all areas they visit are in the best quality that I can make.

However, I'm speaking from my own experience as I have made the same mistake several times and don't want to see others fall into the same trap.
My game is RPG, not MMORPG. It uses RPG Maker, not Eclipse. My game has story(it's a RPG after all), your doesn't(or at least not in-game). My areas will be short and filled with events like in original Mario RPGs, not long and bland. And most importantly, you actually have to code things, I just copy-paste scripts.
Therefore you can't compare my game to your game.

For the screenshot you provided, don't try and merge the elevated-height cliff and the lower-elevation ground with a path like that. It looks kinda cutoffy and weird. If you want to maintain the transition of going from a higher elevation to a lower elevation in that map you should utilize the vertical stairs instead to make it more clean.

Mapping is a lot of working around the problems with the tileset to make sure you have absolutely 0 graphical anomalies and cutoff.

I  posted that screenshot just to show the tilesets and that map was going to be removed,
but I can still thank you for pointing that out, to keep it in mind when I'll actually start making maps.

Regarding game progress, I started making some more areas(just Mario's house outside and path to first place you'll visit in this game), but I needed to change the game resolution to something smaller, to prevent myself from making extremely large areas and to make this fangame feel like a real Mario game. There's one problem with that, though. I tried to make the resolution smaller by putting a line of code before Main call or whatever it's called, I changed the game resolution to 384 x 354 but there is small line of transparency at the very bottom of screen. Also, fonts are too large to fit and they don't look that good when resized. And even if I'll manage to fix these problems, the resolution is still 384x354, compared to DS's resolution of 256x192. Setting the game to this resolution causes the up side of area show on bottom area of screen. So I guess I'll just deal with resolution of 384x354.
EDIT: I changed the font to "MarioLuigi2", but now the following symbols: , ' " look all too small, nearly invisible, so when a sentence reads "Hello Mario, it's a nice weather, isn't it?", it looks like "Hello Mario its a nice weather isnt it?". I tried editing the font with some font editors, but they are all too complex. Any suggestion to solve this problem without changing font height (and thus also game resolution, which I don't want to change) will be appreciated.
EDIT2: Regarding my resolution issue, while I belive that except small font symbols it's solved for the in-game part, it would be nice if I could somehow display the RPG Maker's level editor at 2x size or something, so that I wouldn't design a long level and then, in-game, with smaller resolution, find out that it's too large.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 02:41:44 pm by Krsim » Report Spam   Logged

Have a nice day/night.
Krsim
Shrooblet

View Profile
One year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 07:23:30 am »

Sorry everyone, I stoped the development for some time. This was not because I was tired of the project or something, but I experienced(and  unfortunately I'm still experiencing...) a issue on my computer regarding half of my programs  and web pages constantly flashing. I was looking for solutions on internet, but I didn't find anything, so I eventually got used to it(though it would be still nice to get rid of this issue).

I now started developing this game again. I have made one new area already, but even more importantly, I finally have a really good concept for story! I'll need to slighty improve it, but it's in usable state.

Also, I guess I'll have to stop being crazy about resolution and font and just design game areas, because I can still easily modify font and game resolution after I'll finish the areas...
Report Spam   Logged

Have a nice day/night.
Krsim
Shrooblet

View Profile
One year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 10:49:54 pm »

It's pretty late here in my timezone, but I can't sleep at all so I'll give you a progress report instead.

Progress has been going nicely. I'm currently finishing the first boss of the game. After I'll be done, I'll start working on Toad Town.
The bad thing is that I have no idea what tileset I'm going to use for that. I don't want to make a copy of Toad Town in BIS(unlike Starlite Worlds) and its tileset in PIT is too dark and sad(it's in past, after all...).

Oh yeah, screenshots.

By the way, I found a workaround to my flashing issue: Running CCleaner temporarily removes it.
Unfortunately, it then still starts to flash after some time has passed Sad
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:18:34 pm by Krsim » Report Spam   Logged

Have a nice day/night.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: