Super Mario Bros. Online

Super Mario Bros. Online Forums
March 29, 2024, 04:50:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Super Mario Bros. Online forums! We hope you enjoy your stay! Please remember to read the rules!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Website download Staff List Login Register  

An unnamed Mario RPG fangame

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: An unnamed Mario RPG fangame  (Read 1769 times)
Krsim
Shrooblet

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
One year Anniversary
« on: January 25, 2016, 12:37:37 pm »

No, I didn't forget about SMBO. The sever has just been down a lot lately.
So yeah, I'm making a game. It's a Mario RPG. Not a MMORPG one, just a RPG. A Mario RPG. I can't think of any good name right now.
I know there are things like ICU Gigasoft that is specifically for Mario RPGs, but I want to show it in a small community like this and get some feedback first.

Engine: RPG Maker VX Ace
Graphic style: Partners in Time for sprites, Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story for tilesets
Resolution: 384 x 354 Actually, it looks like like I won't be able to use this one.
Story: It hasn't progressed to the state where I can publish it.
Playable characters: Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Bowser at certain points in game.
Battle script: Theolized Sideview Battle System
Screenshots: A "tutorial" map is done, but it doesn't look very good and I will most likely replace it in future. Replaced.
Rather, here's a screenshot of Mario House:(Click to enlarge)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:24:48 pm by Krsim » Report Spam   Logged

Have a nice day/night.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

purplystuff
Koopa Troopa

I own everyone nah jk :P

View Profile
Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 01:11:52 pm »

Unfortunatly no they aren't open source. I think the old one it.. the starlite worlds is not.. as ashamed as I am to admit.. I have broken into it and retrieved the resources before so I know it is possible to do.
Report Spam   Logged

Level:45
Group:The Gangsta Bros.
Group Rank:3
Krsim
Shrooblet

View Profile
One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 09:26:41 pm »

It is, as of v 1.4.0

http://gamejolt.com/games/super-mario-rpg-the-starlite-worlds/27143/news/super-mario-rpg-the-starlite-worlds-1-4-0-update-open-source/110186

So, which style should I use?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 09:28:51 pm by Krsim » Report Spam   Logged

Have a nice day/night.
purplystuff
Koopa Troopa

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 11:22:08 pm »

Personally would reccomend the Starlite Worlds since obviously they are higher quality and will get more appraisal. Adding a few of you're own custom ones to mark you're creativity to it would help alot too. If you need any help with anything just let me know. I got spare time occasionally for stuff such as this.. I do have some dream team sprites availible for characters if you're looking for that.
Report Spam   Logged

Krsim
Shrooblet

View Profile
One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 03:19:11 am »

Thanks, I'll use Starlite Worlds, then.
However, Mario's House doesn't seem to be in the game, and it's not in actual BIS or PiT either. Guess I'll have to use MLSS and Seven Sages for that.
Edit: I noticed that Starlite Worlds ports things from PiT and BIS by parts, rather than tiles. This is not good, I want maximum customizability.
Porting them by tiles IS possible through, so I'll port them to RPG Maker VX Ace by tiles.
Edit 2: I'm almost done with "retexturing" Mario's House!I used GFX from ML:SS, as I said. I'll upload a screenshot soon!
Edit 3:Just a few things to replace and a few decorations to add!
Edit 4: I updated the image above to the final version. I added 2 new decorations and, since I couldn't find any ML:SS styled mirrors or fireplaces, I edited the default RTP ones to be more simple like ML:SS's GFX is.
Edit 5: Not seen in the screenshot, but I've fixed cut-off below the mirror.
Edit 6: Not seen in the screenshot, but I've also simplified the chair and table.
Edit 7: I also "made" a staircase by rotating the ML:SS one. It doesn't looks very good, through...
#whysomanyedits
OFFTOPIC: I've got plenty of time this week, especially today, tomorrow and on friday. Would anyone play SMBO with me? I'm level 20. Remember that I have a different timezone though, which you can see in my profile.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 01:34:35 pm by Krsim » Report Spam   Logged

Have a nice day/night.
purplystuff
Koopa Troopa

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 04:43:18 pm »

I can play sometime. :p
Report Spam   Logged

Krsim
Shrooblet

View Profile
One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 05:22:28 pm »

@purplystuff
When is sometime, though? I have a different timezone than you, so I need a convenient time for both of us. It is currently 11:16 pm at the time of writting this.

@everyone else(even though I'm pretty sure that me and purplystuff are the only people who actually check this thread):
I just figured out that I won't be able to use Starlite Worlds sprites, since they're too large(And the RPG Maker XP format is incompatible with VX Ace one's, anyway)(I'll still use other resources such as tiles or battle backgrounds from it, though) Instead, I'll convert them myself from MFGG sprite sheets. Still better to know the credit owners, instead of searching all over internet to give credit or converting super huge sprites to small ones.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 05:30:15 pm by Krsim » Report Spam   Logged

Have a nice day/night.
Penguin4478
Touhou Music is Best
Global Moderator

Top Poster On The Forums!

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 08:26:04 pm »

ICU community has like 5 people who actually check the forums frequently not including U-div and C-div. You should share there because the community itself is quite small and more people will be a lot more knowledgeable there.
Report Spam   Logged

Creator and leader of SMBO Union!

YTC: http://www.youtube.com/user/Penguin4478/videos
Card List and Recipes 100% Complete!
Krsim
Shrooblet

View Profile
One year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 08:36:58 pm »

Uh yeah, guess I could publish it on ICU Gigasoft as well. However, I belive it currently isn't completed enough to show at that forum yet.
"An unnamed Mario RPG with only 1 area(Mario's House) right now with yet no story" doesn't sound exastly exciting when there are all those other fangames that are much more complete at this point.
Edit: Basically, I DO need some feedback on the game which is why I posted it here, but the game simply isn't completed enought and it would probably quicky get burried along all those other more interesting threads.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:43:40 pm by Krsim » Report Spam   Logged

Have a nice day/night.
Krsim
Shrooblet

View Profile
One year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 05:24:10 pm »

So I finally decided which style I'll use. I'll use Partners in Time for sprites, because staring at Bowser's Inside Story sprites made me somehow think that I actually don't like them.
There are exceptions, but for the most part, I'll just use PiT sprites.
On other hand, I actually don't have any problems with BIS tilesets, so I'll use them alongside PiT ones.

Currently, I'm porting the PiT grassland tileset. So far, I've only done the grass and the paths. I need to port the trees and decorations.
Not to mention that to actually make any areas I also need to port Mario, Luigi, item blocks, etc.
Current game progress: 0.7-2%, 1 map done, 1 tileset fully ported.
Report Spam   Logged

Have a nice day/night.
purplystuff
Koopa Troopa

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 11:37:20 pm »

I get what penguin is suggesting, but you are right. You have too little to show. Nobody is going to follow a game or even give it the light of day until you have something half decent to show for it.
Report Spam   Logged

Krsim
Shrooblet

View Profile
One year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 11:40:30 am »

Yeah, pretty much that. Still, I don't plan to abandon the project at any time.
In other news, I'm almost done with grassland tileset, just some more decorations and some blocks and I'll be done.
Report Spam   Logged

Have a nice day/night.
Krsim
Shrooblet

View Profile
One year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 09:32:55 am »

Sorry for no updates, I was busy. But the grassland tileset is finished(well, almost... I should add two more things to it). I'll attach a screenshot soon. Now the hard part: NPC GFX. Porting tilesets was easy, but I'm not sure if the same could be said for NPCs... Luckily, I have a whole library of their rips available at MFGG... but I didn't ever port a NPC to RPG Maker...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 09:48:44 am by Krsim » Report Spam   Logged

Have a nice day/night.
Kimimaru
Owner
Super Mario Bros. Online Creator

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 10:18:35 pm »

Hi Krsim, glad to see your progress on your game. I would like to provide some points of advice:

-Please create new posts for only significant updates and/or update the original post with your version history. Making a new post for something small (Ex. Placing a lamp in place of a desk) will easily flood the topic and make it hard to search for feedback or anything else important.

-I would suggest fully realizing your game concept and writing it down somewhere (Ex. Google Docs) first before executing it. I and many others have made the same mistake of implementation before design. Fully designing your game before executing it provides you with the benefit of receiving early feedback and being able to modify the game before you actually have anything in place. Additionally, since Story is a very important part of an RPG, I am concerned that it is not designed yet and feel you don't know what to do with your game just yet. I suggest slowing down a little and thinking about what you want players to get out of this game, or what you want to do with it that isn't present in other Mario fangames or RPGs.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:21:41 pm by Kimimaru » Report Spam   Logged
Krsim
Shrooblet

View Profile
One year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 08:06:14 pm »

-Please create new posts for only significant updates and/or update the original post with your version history. Making a new post for something small (Ex. Placing a lamp in place of a desk) will easily flood the topic and make it hard to search for feedback or anything else important.

Alright, good idea.

-I would suggest fully realizing your game concept and writing it down somewhere (Ex. Google Docs) first before executing it. I and many others have made the same mistake of implementation before design. Fully designing your game before executing it provides you with the benefit of receiving early feedback and being able to modify the game before you actually have anything in place.

Hmm. I'll try to soon edit the first post with features that I plan on implementing and also try to write the game concept somewhere as you're suggesting.

Additionally, since Story is a very important part of an RPG, I am concerned that it is not designed yet and feel you don't know what to do with your game just yet. I suggest slowing down a little and thinking about what you want players to get out of this game, or what you want to do with it that isn't present in other Mario fangames or RPGs.

I already have several concepts for story, I just can't decide between them. But thanks for the tip, I should think about story more.

Anyway, here's the grassland tileset:

(That's the image of that tutorial map I plan on remaking.)
I just need to fix the corner of grass, recolor fence and port water.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 08:08:08 pm by Krsim » Report Spam   Logged

Have a nice day/night.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: