Super Mario Bros. Online

Super Mario Bros. Online Forums
March 28, 2024, 11:49:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Super Mario Bros. Online forums! We hope you enjoy your stay! Please remember to read the rules!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Website download Staff List Login Register  

New Guy and connection problems

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Guy and connection problems  (Read 1056 times)
Pyroflo
Shrooblet

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: January 19, 2015, 05:12:09 pm »

So uh, hi guys!
I'm kinda new to this game but I wanted to play it for a long time now and it never worked.
This time I actually read the stuff here and came close to actually playing, but my problem is that I'm stuck in the main menu and it tells me that the server status is checking....forever....and ever....and ever.
I can create an account...well, not really. I can put in my desired name and password, but then it tells me "Connected! Creating Account..." forever...and ever...and ever.

So uh, am I doing something wrong?
Maybe this is in this jungle of posts but I can't find it, so, sorry if this has already been answered.  Cry
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

WK67
Shrooblet

UMWO co-owner

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 05:24:04 pm »

Have you tried running the patcher a few times? That's what my friend had to do. Or maybe the server is just SUPER laggy for you.
Report Spam   Logged

Come check out my YouTubez Channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/wingedkoopa67/
Pyroflo
Shrooblet

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 05:27:29 pm »

Yeah, I have!
It always says "Status: No new updates" but the result never changes.
I tried it as admin, as a non-admin, as...well I guess that's it really, but I tried it often... Cry
Report Spam   Logged
hydrakiller4000
Owner
Super Mario Bros. Online Creator

View Profile
Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 08:38:30 pm »

Hi Pyroflo,

Welcome to SMBO! Sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues connecting to the SMBO server.

Which version of Windows are you running? Please make sure SMBO has permission to access the internet through Windows Firewall. Take a look at the following guide for enabling a program in Windows Firewall: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/communicate-through-windows-firewall#1TC=windows-7

Be sure to allow SMBO to run under both Private and Public networks. SMBO's process name should be "server.exe" or "Super Mario Bros Online.exe." If you don't see either of these, don't worry about it; something other than Windows Firewall is likely the issue.

If the Windows Firewall setting doesn't fix the issue, try registering COMSocketServer.dll like so:

1. Open up the command prompt. To do this, click on the Windows Start button, type "cmd" in the Search Bar, and press the Enter key. The command window should pop up.
2. In the command window, type in the following: regsvr32 COMSocketServer.dll
3. Press the Enter key. It should tell you that dllregserver succeeded.

If this doesn't work, you might have a 64-bit machine. Here's how to register COMSocketServer.dll on a 64-bit machine:

1. Open up the command prompt. To do this, click on the Windows Start button, type "cmd" in the Search Bar, and press the Enter key. The command window should pop up.
2. In the command window, type in the following: cd c:\windows\syswow64
3. Press the Enter key. Then, type in the following: regsvr32 COMSocketServer.dll
4. Press the Enter key. It should tell you that dllregserver succeeded.

If this STILL doesn't work, please try disabling the User Account Controls. Check out this very short tutorial to learn how to do so: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-user-account-control-on-off#1TC=windows-7

I hope that helps!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 08:44:17 pm by hydrakiller4000 » Report Spam   Logged
Pyroflo
Shrooblet

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 08:47:03 am »

Hey, thanks for your reply! However, I did not quite get it to work.
I tried the second option you gave me (with the cmd) however, I did as you said (in Windows 64-bit) and then I recieved an error message (on German, cause I am from Germany, but roughly translated it tells me that the module "COMSocketServer.dll" got loaded, but it was unable to stat "DLLRegisterServer" because of an Error-Code namely
"0x80070005".
And well, I don't really know what to do about it, the Internet and Google did not help me so far.
Report Spam   Logged
hydrakiller4000
Owner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 05:27:12 pm »

Hi Pyroflo,

If you haven't tried my other two suggestions yet, I'd recommend that you give them a try. In addition to those suggestions, please try the following:

Please download the Windows Vista & 7 Fix from our website: http://supermariobrosonline.tk/uploads/Windows_Vista_&_7_Fix.rar

Please extract the .rar file using WinRAR or 7zip (install them if you don't have them installed), and in the extracted folder, you should find an executable file. Please right-click on this file, and go to its Properties. In the Properties window, you should see a button that says "Unblock" at the bottom. Please click on that button, and then click the "Ok" button afterwards. Once you've done that, right-click on the executable file again, and select "Run as administrator." The installation should complete, and once it's done, try running SMBO again.

I hope that helps!
Report Spam   Logged
Pyroflo
Shrooblet

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 05:13:17 am »

Thanks for your help, but once again, I did do everything you told me (yes, Firewall was not the issue, the cmd didn't work out as explained, the user account control didn't change anything, and I had already downloaded the files, I did it again, installed it again, but the result was the same) Sad
This is really confusing, does it have something to do with me being in Europe?
Report Spam   Logged
hydrakiller4000
Owner

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 10:44:46 pm »

Hi Pyroflo,

It shouldn't have anything to do with you being in Europe. We've had players from all over the world on SMBO, including some from France.

Can you please make sure that the Super Mario Bros. Online folder is located in a folder that has full permissions, such as Desktop or Documents?

Also, I've just restarted the server. The server computer had to install some updates. Sometimes the server says that it's online even though players cannot connect to it for some reason. Please try connecting to SMBO again.

I hope that helps! I apologize for the inconvenience.
Report Spam   Logged
Pyroflo
Shrooblet

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 09:26:57 am »

Good news, bad news!!
It actually works!!  Shocked
However, it seems to be a problem with my computer, as this is working only at my alternate computer.
But hey, it's working! And I'm happy!
So, thank you very much and...am I still supposed to go to the forums and state "hey there I'm new here?".
Gonna play the game now. Seeya around!  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
hydrakiller4000
Owner

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 05:44:11 pm »

Hi Pyroflo,

Great to hear that you got it working! There is no requirement to introduce yourself in the forums, but you can certainly do so if you'd like.

I hope you enjoy SMBO!
Report Spam   Logged
Penguin4478
Touhou Music is Best
Global Moderator

Top Poster On The Forums!

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 05:30:55 pm »

I ran into this problem a few months ago, and was getting the same error for other MMOs using the same engine.

Make sure your system locale is set to English - United States. You CANNOT use applocale to do this; you have to change your whole system's locale. If this is a problem you'll have to use applocale to run the other applications aside from SMBO instead that can't be run in English- United States locale.

I'm gonna go update the general help thread with this fix now.
Report Spam   Logged

Creator and leader of SMBO Union!

YTC: http://www.youtube.com/user/Penguin4478/videos
Card List and Recipes 100% Complete!
hydrakiller4000
Owner

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 09:02:25 pm »

Thank you very much for this new insight, Penguin!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: