Super Mario Bros. Online

Super Mario Bros. Online Forums
April 20, 2024, 07:18:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Super Mario Bros. Online forums! We hope you enjoy your stay! Please remember to read the rules!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Website download Staff List Login Register  

Download Help: READ THIS BEFORE POSTING FOR HELP!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Download Help: READ THIS BEFORE POSTING FOR HELP!  (Read 1300 times)
Penguin4478
Touhou Music is Best
Global Moderator

Top Poster On The Forums!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« on: October 08, 2012, 10:27:15 pm »

This is a topic with extremely detailed instructions on how to correctly download SMBO. I've noticed many people can't play for similar reasons, so this is a topic to help new players if they have RTEs or other problems. Download links to the different files can be found at the bottom of the topic.

So, here's how you do it!:

1. Make sure you meet these requirements:
-You are an administrator on your computer or an administrator of the computer who can help you is available
-You are NOT using a Macintosh(Mac) Operating System. If you're using any Mac OS then SMBO will be unplayable
-You have disabled anti-virus and firewall protections on your computer for the entirety of installing SMBO. Once you've completed all these steps and SMBO runs correctly, then you can re-enable your computer protection.

2. Install the SMBO files from the downloads section of the forum. Downloading Porky's Font is optional, but suggested. YOU MUST DOWNLOAD THE WINDOWS7/VISTA FIX IF YOU'RE USING ONE OF THOSE OPERATING SYSTEMS! Also remember to install the jikpatch.ini file, which is available as a download link either in the downloads section of the forum or at the bottom of this toipc.

3. Once you have downloaded the files, run the installer.

4. Once the installer has made a folder called "Super Mario Bros. Online," locate the file called "RUN THIS BEFORE YOU PLAY THE GAME!" It is important that you run this file as a computer administrator. If you are not a computer admin, then right-click the file, click "run as administrator," then input the administrator password. Do the same for the Windows 7/Vista Fix if you are using Windows7/Vista

5. After doing that, run the file "Super Mario Bros. Online Patcher," again, as an administrator. Also make sure you have downloaded the jikpatch.ini file BEFORE you do this.

6. You can finally run the game! IF you experience the problem of this: (filename).ocx/.dll or one of its dependencies is missing, then you need to run the windows7/vista fix or the "RUN THIS BEFORE YOU PLAY THE GAME" file...AS AN ADMINISTRATOR. If it still doesn't work, then make sure you did all the steps before you try to report a bug/error. There are a couple common bugs listed below, as well as the downloads.

COMMON BUGS:
The game won't connect to the internet, even though it is working fine for everyone else: You need to re-run the patcher again. Sometimes, even if there isn't a new update, running the patcher fixes the connection bug.

The tiles show weird GFX rather than the ones they're supposed to show. What do I do?: You either need to run the patcher again because the new update came out, or you need to re-install the game. Try relogging before you do that first, though.

It says some files are missing or can't be found.: If it's something as trivial as music files, you can ask any other player or staff member to upload that file that you're missing. If it's something more important like graphics or map files, you need to reinstall the game.

Every time you start up the game, a Level Up! graphic is stuck above your head and a red "0" floats off of your head; you may not be able to use CTRL or similar buttons.  This is almost always fixable by either relogging or rebooting your computer.

FAQ:

Can I play SMBO without being an admin on my computer?

-No, you can't. If you need to update the game, you should be able to just by asking someone else for it, but otherwise you shouldn't be able to. To install the eclipse library files being an admin is required. Also, if you need to run the patcher, there's no other way to get around it other than to get the files from someone else. While I have been able to sometimes manually extract the patch files which jikari patcher would normally do for you, SMBO has its patch files protected so it can only be accessed by the patcher. You can, however, check if your game is patched an up to date by checking the latest patch file number with this list: http://www.supermariobrosonline.tk/patcher/Patch_List.txt

How will I know when to run my patcher?

-Check the forums, because a release is always a big announcement and you should easily get the word that the new update has come. The need to run the patcher will only come with a new update, which really won't occur that much now since the development team decided to stop releasing new content.

Help! My client starts up just fine, but refuses to get past the "Connecting..." message for server status, and therefore I can't connect and play!

Make sure your system locale is set to English - United States. You CANNOT run SMBO through applocale with this locale to fix it; you must change your whole system's locale to English - United States.

DOWNLOADS:

New Jikpatch file: http://www.smf4free.com/forums/supermariobrosonline/index.php/topic,992.0.html

Windows7/Vista Fix: http://www.smf4free.com/forums/supermariobrosonline/index.php/topic,81.0.html

IF you can't figure anything out, also remember to check the bugs and errors list which can be found on the site or the forums.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:33:24 pm by Penguin4478 » Report Spam   Logged

Creator and leader of SMBO Union!

YTC: http://www.youtube.com/user/Penguin4478/videos
Card List and Recipes 100% Complete!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Penguin4478
Touhou Music is Best
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 01:03:55 am »

Added an FAQ section with 2 new questions addressed around the patcher. Interestingly enough, jikari's patcher for SMBO accesses a certain file under the main site index which can't normally be reached, so I guess it's impossible to manually patch the game rather than use jikari's patcher.
Report Spam   Logged

Penguin4478
Touhou Music is Best
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 05:20:57 pm »

Updated! Added a mention that you should disable firewall and antivirus software because the library files are added as system-y files in your computer, which can sometimes be misinterpreted as a threat to your computer's safety and functions.
Report Spam   Logged

Penguin4478
Touhou Music is Best
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 10:28:02 pm »

Updated!

Added a problem a lot of international players are having (or for you guys loving to play Japanese games on your computers). Make sure your system locale is set to English - United States. You can find this setting under "Region" in your control panel.

Nick said it has to do with packet data sending or something. I'm not really sure of the details, but after having some trouble with another eclipse MMO I figured that maybe it was my locale, gave it a try, and it worked.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: