Super Mario Bros. Online

Super Mario Bros. Online Forums
March 28, 2024, 09:40:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Super Mario Bros. Online forums! We hope you enjoy your stay! Please remember to read the rules!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Website download Staff List Login Register  

SMBO BBK Developer Interview #4 (9/11/12)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SMBO BBK Developer Interview #4 (9/11/12)  (Read 392 times)
Penguin4478
Touhou Music is Best
Global Moderator

Top Poster On The Forums!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« on: September 11, 2012, 07:33:56 pm »

Here's the first BBK Update Developer Interview!

How many suggestions did you implement into the BBK update?

I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I can list some ideas I implemented:
Passive specials, new legwear, a 2-3 player minigame, and a couple of other things.

Boshi suggested a system of digging up beans in the ground, and there's an obvious relationship with that and the BBK. Did you decide to make BBK the location of the new update because of that and a few other things?

I actually had already planned doing that.

When you said you had that planned, did you mean creating the new area of BBK or the bean drilling concept?

Both, lol. I was already mapping BBK at that point, it just took so long to make.

What kind of elements in the BBK Update did you think were the hardest to implement?

I'd say the armored koopa, and several of the badges, like Pity Flower. Oh, and the poison cave. One of the hardest parts was thinking of the ideas, though, or at least making them reasonable. The hardest part was rebalancing the enemies.

As you know, Jdaster and I had... a lot of trouble figuring out the recipes for the BBK update. Did you plan on anyone getting every single recipe without a hint from either you or Hydra?

Yes, I hoped more people would actively be seeking them out. With 2 people only it was harder to test.

Speaking of that, Jdaster and I were pretty much the only people who went after the 100% completion thing. Why do you think this is?

I guess people just lost interest after uncovering all the content.

That's a little strange, especially considering a lot of people played the update halfway through and just left. In my opinion, it shouldn't have been this way, since the BBK update had so many new things to offer. What's your opinion on this strange event?

I'm not sure. I think that players did the minimal required to "pass" the BeanBean Kingdom then just stopped playing. Not everyone likes to get 100% in the game.

True... but the MK update attracted far more attention than the BBK one, and I think the BBK had much more to offer overall, so I still think it's a bit peculiar. It's personally my opinion, but the MK update didn't offer nearly as much as the BBK one. Which update do you think is better overall?

The BBK update was definitely larger. MK Path was linear, so it was easier to access all of its content. Overall, though, I think the BBK update is better. I think the map design was much stronger and the ideas were more original.

I understand Hydra won't be able to work/won't work nearly as much as before on any possible future updates. I also noticed that unlike the other areas, there isn't any "boss" other than the armored koopa, who doesn't drop anything which helps one access a new area. This leads up to the question of whether or not you plan to make anymore large "new area" updates like the previous ones.

Hydra and I agreed never to make an update this big again, lol. A single update this big. It was very stressful. But I can't answer your question right now because I'm unsure. Right now it doesn't seem likely that we will make a new area.

Alright, getting near the end of this interview, I'm going to ask a very... pressuring question, sorry. My curiousity's a little wild...
Unless you're going for something like an 8-year degree in college or something, which I'm not sure of, what do you predict will happen to the existence and updates of SMBO once you graduate?

I don't know. I won't be concerned with SMBO after I graduate, though. I did have for a remake of the game in a custom engine if I ever got the chance, though.

Time for the totally irrelevant question of randomness that makes people read further into the interview: I'm truly 14 years old, did you know?

I didn't know, lol

This concludes the interview!
Report Spam   Logged

Creator and leader of SMBO Union!

YTC: http://www.youtube.com/user/Penguin4478/videos
Card List and Recipes 100% Complete!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: