Super Mario Bros. Online

Super Mario Bros. Online Forums
March 29, 2024, 11:36:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Super Mario Bros. Online forums! We hope you enjoy your stay! Please remember to read the rules!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Website download Staff List Login Register  

Improving the Stache Stat

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Improving the Stache Stat  (Read 1795 times)
Penguin4478
Touhou Music is Best
Global Moderator

Top Poster On The Forums!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 08:06:49 pm »

Well, in order to go first you need high speed, which makes sense, but when i came up with that I was thinking luck AND speed would be nice too. So high stache/luck players will still get a good chance of going first. Perhaps stache, rather than speed, boosts your SP regen rate?
Report Spam   Logged

Creator and leader of SMBO Union!

YTC: http://www.youtube.com/user/Penguin4478/videos
Card List and Recipes 100% Complete!
jdaster64
Global Moderator

FINALLY learned how to block POW blocks in MKWii

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 09:09:51 pm »

I don't think taking away from SPEED's effectiveness will solve anything; in place of SPEED currently being somewhat viable and STACHE not at all, we'll have two kind of "meh" stats, neither of which will be very viable.  Counterattacks sound good in theory, but if you're only taking 1 damage from an enemy, an extra 1 damage back doesn't mean much at all.

I really think that anything STACHE gets buffed with should have nothing to do with what SPEED already affects.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:12:02 pm by jdaster64 » Report Spam   Logged

First to get all 47 cards, all in inventory
SIX maxed characters at level 75!
Check out my updated suggestions thread here!
Penguin4478
Touhou Music is Best
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 10:02:38 pm »

As blocks aren't particularly effective on 1 damage hits, and crits typically aren't effective on normal NPCs(crits in the long run can't help you with training), counterattacks shouldn't be either. I find those lucky instances with blocks and crits really help only in PvP, where you're bound to get hit in the higher than 5s.
Report Spam   Logged

Medicguy2
Goomba

CMDS - Philosopher & Owner of Shining Light

View Profile
Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 11:59:19 pm »

While this does sound nice, it's almost a little too easy that way, since we have a block to negate damage, or at the least mitigate it.

I've noticed some Paper Mario-ish elements and I'd like to suggest one thing: Super-block.

As it would probably imply, it would reflect some damage back on the opponent, while negating all damage (Say 25%, or 50%, of the damage). However, it would work similar to what Kimi has said: It would only work if your hp is low enough to support one of the stats. Since it's an idea for improving the Stache stat, I'll use it as an example, but it's variable enough to work on Defence and speed as well.

Using Kimi's example, though slightly modified, I have 100 HP, 20 speed 30 stache. I can only super-block if my current hp is 50 (Note, if my Max hp is 50, it'd be 25 instead, as it's only usable when my hp is half my maximum amount). With 50 hp left, penguin hits me for roughly 40 damage, supposedly. With my current speed, this would be around a 1% (maybe less, depending on point-of-view) chance of a super-block, but I acquire it.

Not only do I block all of this damage, but penguin gets hit for 10 or 20 hp (Again, depending on preference) in reflected damage (Altered by his own defence stat... if he had none, he'd receive full damage, but if he had 5 defence, he'd only receive 5 (or 15) hp damage.)
Report Spam   Logged

Luigi ATK experiment on SMBO: Highest-achieved ATK 84 (+30% w/ damage Up)
Yoshi FP/ATK experiment: TBA
jdaster64
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 09:10:39 am »

As blocks aren't particularly effective on 1 damage hits, and crits typically aren't effective on normal NPCs(crits in the long run can't help you with training), counterattacks shouldn't be either. I find those lucky instances with blocks and crits really help only in PvP, where you're bound to get hit in the higher than 5s.

Sure, it would help in PvP, but if I can't use an aspect of a stat for much at all in outside of PvP-combat, I don't think it would weigh into my decision to upgrade it.  What I could see is something like Paper Mario 2, in that you have a chance of doing a Superguard, but only if it were to deal fixed, enemy-DEF-piercing damage (as in Paper Mario 2), possibly increasing as your ATK goes up.  Anything proportional to damage taken or that is affected by enemy DEF rather quickly becomes useless.

I guess what my opinion boils down to regardless of what happens is going to be this: in reality, crits, blocks, and whatever other "lucky" hits might be devised don't really amount to much in the long run; sure, they'll make a battle a bit faster, but you certainly won't be able to count on them coming when you need them.  Personally, I'd love to see STACHE gain something else completely apart from lucky/crit/whatever hits, like the shop discounts are.  Item/coin drops are pretty much the only integral and potentially changeable part of the battle system that are not affected by any stat, so it seems like that'd be a natural fit.  Fits in well with shop discounts, too.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:40:28 am by jdaster64 » Report Spam   Logged

Penguin4478
Touhou Music is Best
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 07:25:29 pm »

Something else, huh...? How about increasing the length of buffs by 2/5 of a second for each stache point? Although 2/5 might be too little or too much, I think the general idea was given.
Report Spam   Logged

Razz the Koopa
Red Koopa Troopa

Razz the Koopa on SMBO Forums. Yoshinator on SMBO.

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 03:24:27 pm »

Long time no see, everyone.

I have to agree with Garro on this one, but lets add a twist.

What if Stache were to increase EXP gaion by 1 point for every 2 points of Stache, and decrease lost EXP upon "losing a life" to an enemy by 1 point per Stache Point?

In simpler terms...

Every 2 Stache Points = 1 Extra EXP point.
Every 1 point of Stache = 1 point of EXP kept when defeated by an enemy.

Alternatively, it could be a 1% instead of 1 point for this.
Report Spam   Logged

Credit to Boshi for the Avitar. Thanks again Boshi, you rock! ^__^

PowerhouseYellow: Level 75.
jdaster64
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 10:00:53 am »

It'd have to be percent, as the effect of 1 fewer EXP lost is barely noticeable if you have 100 EXP or more (the current formula is current EXP / 6).  EXP lost being implemented in such a way I could certainly see as being useful to some, but increasing EXP gain sort of takes away from the effect of the EXP+ badge (which is not too hard to get, especially compared to how hard it used to be), and would make it far too easy to level up.
Report Spam   Logged

Penguin4478
Touhou Music is Best
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 01:55:50 pm »

Why not make alterations to special attacks?
Basically, when casting a sp. attack you have a chance (which is the same as crit chance GRANTED by STACHE) the damage, buff/debuff, or heal increases in effectiveness by a random booster 50-75%?
Report Spam   Logged

Razz the Koopa
Red Koopa Troopa

Razz the Koopa on SMBO Forums. Yoshinator on SMBO.

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 10:39:58 am »

I can see your point with the EXP Badge, which is why if doing a %, you could cut it off at 10-15%. Most likely 10%. That way, you wouldn't be able to keep gaining boosts per stache.
Report Spam   Logged

Credit to Boshi for the Avitar. Thanks again Boshi, you rock! ^__^

PowerhouseYellow: Level 75.
Penguin4478
Touhou Music is Best
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 02:46:34 pm »

How about if stache has a random chance of applying "Lucky" (different effects compared to previously stated Luckys) on yourself for 20-30 seconds whenever you attack an enemy and the hit lands? In this case, Lucky would be that your critical hit chance and block chance are multiplied by a random RATIONAL number between 2-3. Of course, the chance that "Lucky" actually occurs would be extremely low, probably .1% per stache point.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: