Super Mario Bros. Online

Super Mario Bros. Online Forums
March 29, 2024, 10:23:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Super Mario Bros. Online forums! We hope you enjoy your stay! Please remember to read the rules!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Website download Staff List Login Register  

Improving the Stache Stat

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Improving the Stache Stat  (Read 1792 times)
Kimimaru
Owner
Super Mario Bros. Online Creator

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« on: April 14, 2012, 07:47:11 pm »

Hello everyone! We're currently in the process of improving the Stache stat, and we'd like your suggestions for how it can be improved!

Some ideas hydra and I came up with:

-A chance of finding a random item on the floor. The rarity of the item and the chance of finding an item increases as your Stache stat increases
-When attacking, a chance (that increases with Stache) of getting a "buff," like a free Special Attack, or increased Defense for a while - NOTE: This one is currently impossible with our current buff system, so it can be disregarded

Note that increasing enemy item drops would ultimately ruin the rarity of items like cards, and increasing the damage Critical Hits do would be improving the Critical Hit Chance stat more than Stache.

Thanks you for your time, and I hope we can all work together to find a suitable and reasonable improvement to the Stache stat!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

MrL300

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 07:52:09 pm »

Everytime you increase stache 2 times, if your using mario or luigi, your stache will grow by a pixel.

(This is met to be a joke. ;P but it'd be funny if you did that)
Report Spam   Logged
Randy
Goomba

BIGGEST DK & Diddy fan around

View Profile
Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 07:53:24 pm »

MMMmmm! Stach Affecting item's, now THAT'S something I could sink my teeth into! Also, A suddjestion. It would be nice if the enemy's could drop More than just 1 of the same item When you increase stach a handful of point's. Such as goomba's dropping 3 Herb's instead of one (Basically beginner's luck). Hope you like this kimi.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

One night...When i was on a plane on my way to my friend's house, the engine blew up...I was sent sky-rocketing...Unconsious....When I woke up...I was in a jungle...scared and hungry...suddenly...an ape with a tie come's out of nowhere, but not to hurt me, but to help me...I fainted afterwards...
Garro
Koopa Troopa

Dual Swordman

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 08:51:53 pm »

What about, the more stache you have, the less exp you lose when you die. Kinda like the LUK stat in MapleStory and other similar MMORPGs.

It could also work with badges, for example, a badge that haves 0.3*(Stache) percent of restoring 3HP at the start of a battle.
Report Spam   Logged

Ace
Koopa Troopa

tanuki mario! (Mr.L300 gave it to me) :)

View Profile
One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 10:05:51 pm »

I think the every upgrade of your stache should raise your crit. hit rate a little more than it currently is. Also, what about adding extra bonuses to items that heal hp and/or fp that makes them increase the amount they heal more and make the likelyhood of getting theese bonuses based off of your Stache.
Report Spam   Logged

my dream for SMBO is for it to have many people on at once having fun together and playing minigames often.
jdaster64
Global Moderator

FINALLY learned how to block POW blocks in MKWii

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 11:16:52 pm »

STACHE and crit rate both deserve the boost of critical hits doing double damage, IMO; there's a massive difference between giving 50% more damage and having damage taken be completely nullified.

But I digress; at any rate, finding random items would be nice, although perhaps you should make that start at 5 or so STACHE, so you don't automatically have that chance without leveling it up some first.  Reducing EXP loss from enemy deaths would be nice as well.  And regardless of whether crits are changed to 2x, I agree that STACHE needs a higher crit rate increase per point (0.5 at minimum).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:18:52 pm by jdaster64 » Report Spam   Logged

First to get all 47 cards, all in inventory
SIX maxed characters at level 75!
Check out my updated suggestions thread here!
Penguin4478
Touhou Music is Best
Global Moderator

Top Poster On The Forums!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 11:19:42 am »

Here are a few suggestions for this:
1. Why not use my idea where if you equip a special badge or something critical hits have added effects?
2. Completing favors with different amounts of stache can yield different, and hopefully better rewards. EX: A quest gives you 500 coins upon completion at default 0 stache. By having 10 stache you gain 600 coins, 20-700 coins, 25-800 coins, etc...
3. By random chance when buying things from the store, the store owner may be generous and give you random discounts on their items. It'll be a % discount with a % chance of occurring where the % = (number of stache points)(0.5)(number of items bought)(0.2). The % discount is equal to 0.8*(Current Stache points).
4. Stache also enables "Lucky hits" which are just like critical, except they deal 2.2x damage rather than 1.5x damage. The chance of Lucky hits = |(0.4)(Stache points)(Difference in yours and the enemies level[If this yields a 0, it automatically becomes 1])|/3
This formula has a few important things. [] = sidenotes / = Division | = Absolute value (If the enemy is higher level than it'll become a negative number, so you need this. It also shows that lucky hits have a higher chance of appearing if you're under the enemy's level or above it.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:14:16 pm by jdaster64 » Report Spam   Logged

Creator and leader of SMBO Union!

YTC: http://www.youtube.com/user/Penguin4478/videos
Card List and Recipes 100% Complete!
Ace
Koopa Troopa

View Profile
One year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 11:26:15 am »

4. Stache also enables "Lucky hits" which are just like critical, except they deal 2.2x damage rather than 1.5x damage. The chance of Lucky hits = |(0.4)(Stache points)(Difference in yours and the enemies level[If this yields a 0, it automatically becomes 1])|/3
what if the enemy doesn't have a level like a boss or Elite Shy Guy? does that mean you you can't get a lucky hit on them?
Report Spam   Logged

my dream for SMBO is for it to have many people on at once having fun together and playing minigames often.
Kimimaru
Owner

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 02:32:32 pm »

NOTE: This is for everyone to think about.

Penguin, what we hope to achieve by improving Stache is make the benefits of it as apparent and immediate as the benefits of the other stats. Right now when you increase Stache, you know you'll get more Critical Hit chance and a reduced price at shops, but that's simply not enough to make you want to increase it over another stat.

Compare it with Speed, which greatly helps you in both the Action and Turn-based battle systems by giving Attack Speed, Block Chance, SP, and the ability to outrun enemies. Currently, Stache does not provide comparable assistance in either battle system, and the price reduction at shops can be negated by earning more coins. If we add on something else combat related to Stache (that no other stat offers) that depends solely on how high the stat is, then there will be a good incentive to increase it.

However, I do think it should give slightly more Critical Hit chance. Making Stache grant you less exp loss when you die is a good idea, but I still think it needs more than these 2 ideas.
Report Spam   Logged
jdaster64
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 02:36:41 pm »

Perhaps it could give you a chance of getting a first strike regardless of whether or not you should actually get one?  Meh, I don't know, the only things I can think of would be drop related, like the random item drops you suggested, or higher coin drops (both of which wouldn't be bad, of course).  Pretty much all important factors of battles are already affected by some stat, and I don't think any of the others should be nerfed to make STACHE better.
Report Spam   Logged

Kimimaru
Owner

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 01:06:12 pm »

I just thought of a pretty decent idea. How about we introduce a "Lucky" chance?

Whenever you get a Lucky, the damage the attack normally would do to you would be cut in half or by 75%. It'd be sort of like Block Chance, except Lucky would affect Special Attacks (Block doesn't).

Lucky would have a set chance of occuring, barring a few badges that would increase it slightly. There would be a threshold for how much HP you need to have to get a Lucky, and each point in Stache would increase this threshold you need for it to occur.

Here's an example:

Say I have 50 Stache points and 100 max HP with no equipment. My chance of getting a Lucky would be the same even if I had 0 Stache, but with such a high Stache stat I can get a Lucky if my current HP is at or below 70. jdaster hits me with Yoshi Bomb and deals 60 damage, but I get a Lucky and it mitigates it to 30 (or 45) damage instead.

I'm a little hesitant on having Stache be somewhat offensive, defensive, and provide some utility at the same time, but I think it's fair since we can keep the Lucky chance at a decent number and realize that Stache provides only a little of each, not a lot.
Report Spam   Logged
jdaster64
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 03:00:13 pm »

That seems a bit confusing; is the threshold an upper or a lower bound?  In either case, I'm not sure I care for the idea of an effect being dependent on your current HP (unless it's a Danger/Peril-esque thing), especially a STACHE-related effect.

My verdict: there're too many conditions for that addition to make STACHE any more viable than it already is, in my opinion.  Heck, I don't really increase STACHE for the critical hits as it stands.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:13:07 pm by jdaster64 » Report Spam   Logged

Kimimaru
Owner

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 05:34:16 pm »

The threshold is an upper bound, so if my current HP is below a certain amount, I'll be able to get a Lucky. Increasing Stache will increase the threshold, enabling me to get a Lucky at higher HP values.

However, I do agree with you that it is a little too dependent on luck.
Report Spam   Logged
Penguin4478
Touhou Music is Best
Global Moderator

Top Poster On The Forums!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 06:51:44 pm »

How about a combination of (stache+speed)(0.5) determines your chance of going first in turn-based? Also, maybe stache could give you a counterattack feature, which has the same chance of occurring as your critical hit chance (excluding crit chance from equips). The way I think it would work is that you take the damage, but the enemy also receives 100% the damage you received back onto themselves.
Report Spam   Logged

Creator and leader of SMBO Union!

YTC: http://www.youtube.com/user/Penguin4478/videos
Card List and Recipes 100% Complete!
Ace
Koopa Troopa

View Profile
One year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 07:09:57 pm »

How about a combination of (stache+speed)(0.5) determines your chance of going first in turn-based? Also, maybe stache could give you a counterattack feature, which has the same chance of occurring as your critical hit chance (excluding crit chance from equips). The way I think it would work is that you take the damage, but the enemy also receives 100% the damage you received back onto themselves.
I really like theese idea, there's just one problem, going first in turn-based is already detirmined by comparing your speed the enemies.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: