Super Mario Bros. Online

Super Mario Bros. Online Forums
March 28, 2024, 09:13:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Super Mario Bros. Online forums! We hope you enjoy your stay! Please remember to read the rules!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Website download Staff List Login Register  

Update Cancellation (April Fools Joke)

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Update Cancellation (April Fools Joke)  (Read 1303 times)
Kimimaru
Owner
Super Mario Bros. Online Creator

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« on: April 01, 2012, 03:09:45 pm »

This is very tough for me to say, but I'll try and be brief...

Unfortunately, hydra and I have decided to cancel the next update. The update has been getting increasingly larger and larger each day, and with hydra busy at college and me being busy next term, which starts tomorrow, we simply cannot keep up. I'm very sorry to disappoint you all, but right now there's nothing we can do about it.

With that said, here's what was planned for the update:

Area:

Goomba Mountain

-We wanted Goomba Mountain to be a survival area, kind of like the Daily Event, so the start of the area had multiple, respawnable ? Blocks that contained Life Shrooms. We made very strong enemies for this area so it would be tough for even the most experienced players.

Enemies:

DE Pokey

-What better enemy to use for a tough area than a Pokey? That's what we thought when making the DE Pokey. The "DE" in its name stands for "Don't Engage" since they're so powerful, and they actually have a 50% chance of negating the Close Call badge. Your best option is to run away from them.

Rainbow Goomba

-Since the area is called Goomba Mountain, we thought we should put in a new type of Goomba. Thus, we conceived the Rainbow Goomba, a very powerful, fast moving Goomba. The idea behind the Rainbow Goomba is that it'll always be able to outrun the player. We thought of many ways for doing this and finally came up with a complicated but working formula: the Rainbow Goomba's speed would be 1 more than the player's speed. Using this formula, the Rainbow Goomba would always go first in a turn-based battle, and we even increased its movement speed so it'd run faster outside of battle.

Town:

Goomba Village

-Goomba Village would be on the top of Goomba Mountain, and it would contain all the good stuff, like new equipment, badges, and favors. You would also have choices to make when talking to NPCs, and if you made the wrong choice, the NPC would knock you off the mountain right back at the start. Since there are no Save Blocks in Goomba Village, we wanted to let the player know that enraging NPCs isn't the best thing to do. Sadly, we didn't get to finish Goomba Village, so there are some half-completed buildings there.

Again, we're extremely sorry for the inconvenience and I hope you all understand.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:02:53 am by Kimimaru » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ace
Koopa Troopa

tanuki mario! (Mr.L300 gave it to me) :)

View Profile
One year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 03:20:57 pm »

are you permenently stopping to work on SMBO or is it only until you have more time to work on it, like maybe during the summer?
Report Spam   Logged

my dream for SMBO is for it to have many people on at once having fun together and playing minigames often.
TheSeemefly

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 03:26:01 pm »

Aw... I'm sorry about that.  Those were some good updates in mind.

I hope some of us can or get the time to try and make those updates if that's possible?

Will you permanently stop updates? Or you'll eventually get to them?
Report Spam   Logged
Penguin4478
Touhou Music is Best
Global Moderator

Top Poster On The Forums!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 03:43:44 pm »

That's too bad... was hoping for some more fun this update, but what has to be done...has to be done lol.
Same question as everyone else: Are you quitting updating SMBO permanently or are you just putting this update on hiatus until a good time to work on it.?
Another question: What level requirement was set for the new equipment, and what new sets of equipment were supposed to appear? Was there a new weapon set, bottoms/shoes, hats, etc?

I really do hope you continue this update during summer or the next available moment, because I can tell the large amounts of maps (I think it was a little less than a hundred, but it might even be more than that) and all of the other scripting took a lot of effort, and it would be too bad just to throw it away.
Report Spam   Logged

Creator and leader of SMBO Union!

YTC: http://www.youtube.com/user/Penguin4478/videos
Card List and Recipes 100% Complete!
mariofan13
Koopa Troopa

OBJECTION! That is not a mushroom!!

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 05:36:52 pm »

I was really hoping for this update to get released too. I am having the same question as everyone else. Are you two stoping development for SMBO or just on a hiatus?
Report Spam   Logged

Medicguy2
Goomba

CMDS - Philosopher & Owner of Shining Light

View Profile
Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 06:55:35 pm »

If he stopped working on it for a permanent duration, idt the game would still be up. It still is, so I believe it's on a hiatus until kimi and hydra get enough time to release it.
Something on my mind, though, was why the maps that were done weren't released now, with the unfinished content blocked off. This was like Flower Hills, from what I can tell, so what's the problem with it at this time?
Report Spam   Logged

Luigi ATK experiment on SMBO: Highest-achieved ATK 84 (+30% w/ damage Up)
Yoshi FP/ATK experiment: TBA
Penguin4478
Touhou Music is Best
Global Moderator

Top Poster On The Forums!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 08:46:49 pm »

I believe the problem is just that this term Kimi and Hydra had open periods of time and less classes than this coming term. It wouldn't be good to sacrifice college academics for a game, as the college academics could affect your job. Also, as Kimi said, the further they delve into the update, the much more complicated it becomes. To make one idea works requires a new script programming which results in bugs. When fixing these bugs, more bugs pop up as a result of a problem with fixing it, etc... Atleast I think that's what's going on right now. They don't think they can finish this extremely complicated update while being pressured by college.
Report Spam   Logged

Creator and leader of SMBO Union!

YTC: http://www.youtube.com/user/Penguin4478/videos
Card List and Recipes 100% Complete!
Kimimaru
Owner

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 01:02:26 am »

APRIL FOOLS!
Report Spam   Logged
hydrakiller4000
Owner

View Profile
Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 01:04:37 am »

APRIL FOOLS!

To make one idea works requires a new script programming which results in bugs. When fixing these bugs, more bugs pop up as a result of a problem with fixing it, etc...

That's not exactly true. Once an individual becomes a capable programmer (as have Kimimaru and I become), it's possible to make entire features without a single bug. I'm not saying we develop SMBO features without any bugs because even the best programmers experience bugs; I'm just saying that bugs aren't the biggest obstacle in the development of the update. Time is actually our biggest constraint.
Report Spam   Logged
Randy
Goomba

BIGGEST DK & Diddy fan around

View Profile
Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 01:06:16 am »

WELL now, you total caught me off guard!  Cheesy

Well hopefully my new topic won't go to waste.  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

One night...When i was on a plane on my way to my friend's house, the engine blew up...I was sent sky-rocketing...Unconsious....When I woke up...I was in a jungle...scared and hungry...suddenly...an ape with a tie come's out of nowhere, but not to hurt me, but to help me...I fainted afterwards...
jdaster64
Global Moderator

FINALLY learned how to block POW blocks in MKWii

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 02:13:20 am »

Lol, must've skimmed over the part about the Rainbow Goomba and such, as it you guys had me decently fooled earlier.  The DE Pokey was just crazy enough to be believable, on the other hand.
Report Spam   Logged

First to get all 47 cards, all in inventory
SIX maxed characters at level 75!
Check out my updated suggestions thread here!
JoseCCCCCC
Shrooblet

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 08:03:07 am »

lol nice april fools joke  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Razz the Koopa
Red Koopa Troopa

Razz the Koopa on SMBO Forums. Yoshinator on SMBO.

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 10:27:51 am »

The topic title change was a big giveaway. This will serve me right for not checking the forum regularly. XD
Report Spam   Logged

Credit to Boshi for the Avitar. Thanks again Boshi, you rock! ^__^

PowerhouseYellow: Level 75.
MasterMario97
Red Koopa Troopa

View Profile
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 11:14:00 am »

Founf out it's an april fools joke when I read the day of the first post.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 11:15:58 am by MasterMario97 » Report Spam   Logged
mariofan13
Koopa Troopa

OBJECTION! That is not a mushroom!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 05:46:18 pm »

I can't believe that I find out that this was an april fools joke after three days. I so did not see this coming.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: