Afterparty Forums
March 28, 2024, 04:43:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

[PC] [MAC] Civilization III

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] [MAC] Civilization III  (Read 2308 times)
HAL 9000

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:59:50 am »

I used to love this game.

I haven't played it in years but I was still able to pick it up without much difficulty. However, I started to note some problems that were REALLY prevalent in III that I never really had a huge problem with in IV or V.

First of all, stacking. It had never been a huge of a problem as this guy's, but it is rather annoying whenever you are advancing through enemy territory and then you encounter a huge stack of whatever blocking your way. This was really bad when I was playing the Star Trek mod, in which all star systems are small islands and the Cardassians just ended up noob-stacking cheap units on one of their systems. Same thing goes with archipelago maps since there isn't much room to maneuver land units. It is especially frustrating when these stacks move and you have to sit through watching dozens and dozens of units in the same stack move one at a time.

(IV doesn't have this problem as much because of artillery, tanks and bombers which do collateral damage. You can also move an entire stack at once. V doesn't have this problem at all since units can't stack.)

Also, it's somewhat glitchy and slow on my laptop, which uses Windows 7. Not sure why.

Either way it's still a fun game. Not sure how long I'll keep at it, but the scenarios in the Conquests expansion are rather nice.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 10:10:21 am by HAL 9000 » Report Spam   Logged
Anttichama

Arcade Love

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 11:41:53 am »

I need to get some time to play these games more. I've already given the series perhaps more than 100 hours total, and I've still barely scratched the surface!

Civ III also happens to be the only one in the main series I've never tried. I need to get my hands on this.
Report Spam   Logged
DJ Orwell
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:13:22 pm »

Quote from: HAL 9000
stacking sucks

Don't forget whack-a-mole pollution.

This thread has reminded me that I need to get into Alpha Centauri sometime.

Quote from: Anttichama
Civ III also happens to be the only one in the main series I've never tried. I need to get my hands on this.

Don't forget all the expansions and patches.
Report Spam   Logged
HAL 9000

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 01:44:39 pm »

Don't forget whack-a-mole pollution.

Yeah, pollution turns an area into an unproductive wasteland in the real world, amirite.

THAT IS HONESTLY THE WORST FEATURE IN CIV III. There isn't even a way to turn it off. It happens for practically everything in the modern era too, from a city that's size 13+ or from factories and power plants and whatever. It's so repetitive even if you have the workers to spare. I am glad that was removed.

Whatever, I'm probably just going to play the scenarios lol. Then I'm going to uninstall it because it's so slow on my laptop for some reason.

This thread has reminded me that I need to get into Alpha Centauri sometime.

I probably should try it. I'm surprised I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Don't forget all the expansions and patches.

Oh right. I've patched it to the latest version of Conquests.
Report Spam   Logged
DJ Orwell
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 01:47:31 pm »

THAT IS HONESTLY THE WORST FEATURE IN CIV III. There isn't even a way to turn it off.

Then I'm going to uninstall it because it's so slow on my laptop for some reason.

Have you tried looking up mods? I'd be surprised if someone hasn't corrected these, especially the pollution.
Report Spam   Logged
HAL 9000

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 01:53:47 pm »

Have you tried looking up mods? I'd be surprised if someone hasn't corrected these, especially the pollution.

No, but I would imagine that somebody managed to fix them. But I remembered why Civ IV was better now. It's not a problem in the scenarios at all. The only modern one, the WWII Pacific one, doesn't even have that.
Report Spam   Logged
DarkShingo

8 Bit Nostalgic Basterd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 04:46:09 pm »

And now I remember. I should play Civilization I again. God, love Ghandi declaring war.

If i've not played any of the others, should i go to II, III or IV?
Report Spam   Logged
HAL 9000

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 04:48:45 pm »

Never played II. III is still worth a shot but just go to IV instead.
Report Spam   Logged
DarkShingo

8 Bit Nostalgic Basterd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 04:59:44 pm »

Oh, good, good. I'm obviously unprepared for Civ IV, but I love challenges. Thx.

[edited for piracy — DJ Orwell]
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:22:55 pm by DJ Orwell » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: